Since January 2004, all businesses in Canada were to have in place a Privacy Code that explains to their customers how they comply with the Federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Please read this policy statement carefully because we want you to know how Foster & Associates Financial Services Inc. (Foster) protects your personal information.
Foster is in business to provide you with a variety of investment services and products. To meet your needs and serve you well, Foster needs to know about your personal information. We obtain this information from you using standard industry documentation.
You, as an individual, have a right to know how Foster obtains, uses and discloses personal information. You have a right to expect that, to the best of our ability, your personal information held by us remains accurate, confidential and secure.
Definition of Personal Information
The term “personal information” refers to information that specifically identifies you as an individual and is provided to or collected by us. It includes, for example, your name and address, age and gender, personal information records, identification numbers, including your social insurance number (SIN) and your employment information.
For business clients, information includes the above data plus names of officers, directors, owners, shareholders, jurisdiction of incorporation, financial information and ownership structure.
Why Do We Ask for Your Personal Information
Fosters may from time to time collect financial and other information about you. This information includes transaction-related details arising from your relationship with and through us.
You authorize us to collect this information when you open an account with us, and during the course of our relationship. We may obtain this information from a variety of sources, including from you, from our records and from references you provide to us. Finally, we may also collect information from credit reporting agencies, other financial institutions or service providers.
Sharing Your Personal Information
We may use and share your personal information with our employees, third-party service providers and other financial institutions, but they will not share this information with others. The information may only be used for the following purposes:
- to verify your identity and conduct background verification
- to operate your account and provide you with products and services you may request
- to better understand your financial situation
- to help us manage our business and relationship with you
- if you provide us your social insurance number, we may share it with government authorities for tax purposes. We may share it with credit reporting
- agencies to ensure the accurate matching of credit history files.
- if you select to disclose or specifically direct us to disclose for you, your personal information to a third party (as in the case where you request a product, such as a mutual fund or a service from a third party, after receiving information or to securities issuers under National Instrument 54-101.) to meet requirements of legal and securities regulatory authorities and self-regulatory organizations including the Investment Industry Regulatory Organzation of Canada and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (Collectively, “SRO’s”). SRO’s collect, use or disclose such personal information obtained from registrants for regulatory purposes, including: Surveillance of trading-related activity; business conduct; financial compliance; trade desk review and other regulatory audits; Investigation of potential regulatory and statutory violations; Regulatory databases; Enforcement or disciplinary proceedings; Reporting to securities regulators.
The only occasions when we are permitted to disclose client information is when it is authorized by the client, required or permitted by law, necessary to defend our interests or in the public interest.
You can direct any questions about this policy to Foster’s Privacy Officer at the telephone, e-mail address, or mailing address listed below.
If you have a complaint related to this Personal Information Policy contact our Privacy Officer. If your complaint is justified we will take the steps necessary to resolve the issue, including amending our Policy and practices, if necessary.
Foster & Associates Privacy Officer
372 Bay Street, Suite 1100